5/06/2009

Nog 2 dagen te gaan

.
As a matter of integrity, I will write this post in English. It is important that, we as citizens of an international capital ( Brussels as capital of Europe) show our openness towards other cultures and other languages. Therefore I think it is important that we are nearby to what is new and sometimes seems as uncomfortable.

I was particularly charmed by the most lovely frankness we have been welcomed into the Moroccan environment in Brussels. Invited to participate at a Moroccan event, there were belly dancers, water pipes, the most splendid decorations. I just could not get enough of it. Unfortunately I had to leave too early but there was another important meeting with the Flemish community within Brussels. The meeting had place in the bar of the car museum (Autoworld) of the “Cinquantenaire”. I know the place rather well as I have had the pleasure to be able to hold a personal art exhibition not such a long time ago. Still I had a rather strange feeling about the place when I entered this time. The people were “purely Flemish” and therefore not really “Dutch speaking people from Brussels”. You might ask: But what is the difference?”. The major difference is the fact that these people come from the Flanders and come here to Brussels to tell us how we should organise Brussels towards a Purely Flemish concept, without taking care of how other people that are living in this town. I can understand that it is important that the Flemish culture should be concerverd and receive a certain attention in order to keep its culture , as a minority, functioning within a merely French community. Still I think it is not a good reason not to integrate and mingle between the majorities. After long discussions with the NVA, which is a party that wants to transform Flanders together with Brussels into an independent country, I had to conclude that, even though we have different opinions about a number of things, there were some similarities that we could work on if one of us were elected.

Tonight, taking in consideration all the positive and negative sides of each party I still fear that the differences are to big between the different cultures that live within Brussels. Even though the Moroccan event was more natural and pleasant (as in terms of being able to relax) we could probably have had more potential at getting votes in the (merely fake bourgeoisie) Flemish community of Brussels.

I know one thing for sure! I want to be part of all cultures and I think that is the reason why we should work together rather than all live in our own communities within the same town. After the elections, I will try to return to all of the communities, in the hope that I will be able to convince some of one community to come to another. What’s sure is that we are all from Brussels and we are somehow attached to this town that's rich in culture and diversity! Let us just try to enjoy it as much as we can! Samen, ensemble, together!
.

Geen opmerkingen: